Re: Glyph Closure Scaling

On 05/08/2019 22:03, Myles C. Maxfield wrote:

> I was envisioning the range
> request model would send an early request for everything in the font
> other than the outlines. Percentage-wise, this works great for big fonts.

That's still two separate requests, isn't it? The client needs to make
one request to get the font header (which it can assume fits within a
predetermined reasonable max size); that will tell it how much it needs
to request in order to get everything up to the outlines.

So there are two complete round-trips to the server *before* it can
begin to shape text and determine what glyph ranges it needs to request.

On a sufficiently low-latency connection that might be fine, but I'm
concerned that it could amount to many milliseconds in plenty of
real-world cases.

JK