Redundant and unnecessary data (was): Transforming hmtx table

On 24/04/15 11:25, David Kuettel wrote:

> There is a section on the related hdmx table, which Raph recommended
> either just compressing or stripping altogether.

I believe this is getting into the area of pre-Brotli optimisation
recommendations, along the lines that Adam Twardoch suggested during the
Portland meeting in 2013. There is a lot of data in a typical sfnt font
that is either redundant or unnecessary for webfont environments. It
makes sense to strip such data, but probably not to do so at the
MTX-like Brotli processing stage (unless we were to define two different
modes of Brotli compression: normal and super).

I still like Adam's idea of something like the approach taken to PDF
document standards: definitions of sfnt data sets for different
purposes, beginning with a webfont optimisation recommendation. As I
recall, this was judged outside the existing mandate of the Webfonts WG,
but the informal interest group approach doesn't seem to have gained any
traction.

Ideas?

JH