Re: DSIG and other issues

Thank you Vlad and Behdad.

It will be incredibly helpful to hear back from Microsoft on the importance
of the DSIG table for browsers using the Windows APIs.  In particular
DirectWrite, which Internet Explorer and Firefox currently leverage, and
which Chrome is currently adding support for.

Internally, we reached out to the Chrome + DirectWrite team, to see if they
could test a few OpenType (complex script) fonts with WOFF 2.0 to
understand the behavior in the absence of the DSIG table.  For reference,
this is quite easy to do now.  With Chrome M36+, just enable DirectWrite
(chrome://flags/#enable-direct-write) and access the Google Fonts Directory
(http://google.com/fonts) where the dynamically cut preview fonts are being
served as WOFF 2.0.  To my untrained eye, they appear to work, but we want
to be sure.

In regards to what decision to make, my preference would be the keep the
status quo -- to have the WOFF 2.0 conversion tools drop the DSIG table and
be done with it.

In the case that browsers on particular platforms absolutely needed to
create a DSIG (e.g. an empty one) to be compatible with existing APIs, it
would be ideal if the browser could make the determination based on other
attributes of the font, esp. given that specifications (as far as I have
seen) do not recommend making the TrueType vs. OpenType determination based
on the presence of the DSIG table.  Is that possible?

Were this not possible, then I would lean towards using one of the reserved
flag bits, to indicate that the font had a DSIG table that was removed and
thus it should create a new and empty one upon decoding the font.  I would
prefer to not change the known table tags, and leave them as is.  I think a
flag bit would be much clearer.