Re: [css-fonts] new generic font 'emoji'

On 21/8/14 16:58, Raph Levien wrote:
> There is a proposal to use Unicode variation selectors to disambiguate
> between color and monochrome renderings of emoji / symbols.

This is more than just a proposal; there is an extensive list of
already-standardized variation sequences for characters that may have
both "text" and "emoji" renderings:

   http://unicode.org/Public/UNIDATA/StandardizedVariants.html

> http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr51/tr51-1d.html

TR51 does include additional proposals that are also relevant here, such
as recommendations for the choice of default presentation in the absence
of variation selectors. So this is definitely an area that is still
under development within Unicode.

JK