Re: Native browser/CSS support for TTC (raw and/or within WOFF)?

On 18/10/13 10:08 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Thanks. So the entire TTC is an sfnt (specifically, an entire TTC can
> be encoded as a single WOFF?)

Excellent question.

> I was previously only aware of TTC used for CJK fonts, and I
> understood a typical use case to be 'mostly the same' Japanese and
> Simplified Chinese fonts with distinct glyphs for those code points
> where Unicode unification at the character level required different
> language-specific glyphs. I may well have misunderstood, though.

The TTC spec doesn't much constrain the ways in which the format can be
used. Basically, any tables within the TTC can be shared or not by the
fonts, which makes it very flexible. In practice, I believe name tables
are currently necessarily not shared, in that these are how the
individual fonts are identified. [When looking at potential mechanisms
for size-specific design variation last year we did consider a form of
TTC in which different size design subsets would share a name table.]

JH