Re: Native browser/CSS support for TTC (raw and/or within WOFF)?

On 18/10/13 9:12 AM, Chris Lilley wrote:

> Rather than modify @font-face, I suspect the correct approach would be
> to define a fragment identifier syntax (the part of a url after the #)
> that points into a TTC.

Jonathan and I discussed this briefly during the meeting in Portland. As
I recall, the intended mechanism is indeed to enumerate fonts within a
TTC, but at present any support for TTCs seems to access only the first
font. Perhaps Jonathan has more details.

> So a TTC is a single file containing multiple sfnt streams. What is
> the official defining document?

A TTC is a sort of composite sfnt in which one or more tables are
typically shared by more than one font, with offsets recorded in a
TTCHeader table. The TTC spec is embedded within the OT spec:
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/otspec/otff.htm

Most commonly, the technology is used for CJK fonts sharing a single
glyf table with different cmap entries for roman and italic Latin
subsets. As another example, we built Cambria Regular and Cambria Math
as a TTC with a shared glyf table and different cmap, OS/2, OTL tables
and, of course, name tables.

JH