Re: TypeCon meeting update ; WOFF 2.0 sanitisation?

From: David Kuettel <kuettel@google.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2013 19:40:26 -0700
To: John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com>
Cc: 3668 FONT <public-webfonts-wg@w3.org>, Adam Twardoch <list.adam@twardoch.com>
On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 6:55 PM, John Hudson <tiro@tiro.com> wrote:

> Two items:
>
> 1. Current thinking is to hold the face-to-face in Portland on the
> *afternoon* of Thursday 22 August, probably starting around one o'clock.
> Christopher currently has the room booked for the whole day, in case we
> decide we want the morning instead of or in addition to the afternoon, but
> if we definitely don't need it in the morning we should let him know as
> soon as possible, so that he can release it for other use.

1PM on Thursday the 22nd is perfect.  Thank you John and Christopher!
 Looking forward to the opportunity for us to all meet in person.

> 2. Adam Twardoch has raised some interesting ideas on the Typedrawers
> forum regarding possible 'sanitisation' of OpenType sfnt data in WOFF 2.0,
> which I have encouraged him to outline for the working group as a basis for
> discussion. Unfortunately, the Typedrawers site is down at the moment, so I
> can't provide a link, but will do so as soon as possible. In the meantime,
> the basics of Adam's suggestion is that certain legacy or redundant data
> that is permitted in the OT/OFF spec might be identified as out-of-limits
> for WOFF 2.0, and hence a) provide user agents with a smaller set of
> variables and more strictly defined data set and b) help font developers to
> make smaller, targeted webfonts. It seems, at very least, something worth
> kicking around.

Typedrawers seems to be up again.  Here is a direct link to the post:

http://typedrawers.com/discussion/comment/5210/#Comment_5210

I would agree with you John, this could make for a great discussion at the
meeting on August 22nd, and further, that a set of recommendations for
better web fonts (without the legacy bloat) would be a great thing.  Even
if completely decoupled from the W3C WOFF 2.0 specification.