Re: Quick WOFF 2.0 update

You are correct John.  The @font-face src format hint provides the
mechanism for sites / web font services to simultaneously serve both WOFF
1.0 and 2.0 files, and for user agents to request the preferred format
supported by that user agent.

For a complete example, see Amiri which we are serving via Early Access (
http://google.com/fonts/earlyaccess) in both formats.

http://fonts.googleapis.com/earlyaccess/amiri.css

/*
 * Amiri (Arabic) http://www.google.com/webfonts/earlyaccess
 */
@font-face {
  font-family: 'Amiri';
  font-style: italic;
  font-weight: 400;
  src: url(//
themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/earlyaccess/amiri/v2/Amiri-Slanted.eot
);
  src: url(//
themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/earlyaccess/amiri/v2/Amiri-Slanted.eot?#iefix)
format('embedded-opentype'),
       url(//
themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/earlyaccess/amiri/v2/Amiri-Slanted.woff2)
format('x-woff2'),
       url(//
themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/earlyaccess/amiri/v2/Amiri-Slanted.woff)
format('woff'),
       url(//
themes.googleusercontent.com/static/fonts/earlyaccess/amiri/v2/Amiri-Slanted.ttf)
format('truetype');
}
:

Note, current format hint for the candidate WOFF 2.0 is "x-woff2".  As we
progress, we expect this to quickly become "woff2".

Thank you,
David