Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

On Sat, 18 Jun 2011 13:02:36 +0900, Glenn Adams <glenn@skynav.com> wrote:

> There appear to be a number of options the group(s) may consider:
>
>    - leave WOFF and CSS3-FONTS as is with respect to same-origin
>    requirements, and fail to resolve a formal objection from Samsung,
>    leaving
>    it to W3C management to (eventually) determine a conclusion;
>    - move same-origin requirements from WOFF and CSS3-FONTS to a third
>    "WebFonts Conformance Specification";
>    - move same-origin requirements from WOFF and CSS3-FONTS to HTML5 or
>    another definition of a UA that actually performs access functions;
>    - remove same-origin requirements from WOFF and CSS3-FONTS, and leave
>    in their place a recommendation that UA specifications or other
>    specifications that perform access functions using WOFF and/or
>    CSS3-FONTS consider and resolve access issues in the context of
>    those other specifications; one way of doing this would be to adopt
>    the alternative text I provided in an
>    earlier message "If a user agent that makes normative use of this
>    specification includes a same-origin policy, then that policy, and the
>    mechanisms it uses to enforce that policy should apply to the loading
>    of fonts via the @font-face mechanism.";
>    - simply remove the same-origin requirements and take no further
>    action;

If we take the same origin requirements out of the WOFF and CSS3-FONTS
spec, and agree to put them into another document. Do you have any opinion
on whether the policy to be specified in this other document should be the
same origin policy, or rather From-Origin[1]? We (Opera) would prefer the
later, and as HÃ¥kon has pointed out, we agree it is better to have it in a
separate document.

- Florian

[1] Cross-Origin Resource Embedding Restrictions, aka From-Origin
ED: http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/from-origin/raw-file/tip/Overview.html
Blog: http://annevankesteren.nl/2011/02/from-origin