Re: css3-fonts: should not dictate usage policy with respect to origin

I understand your argument, but Samsung does not agree with it:

   1. we don't believe that mandating same-origin rules in a UA w.r.t. font
   contrast, we do believe that completing WOFF and CSS3-FONTS and their rapid
   adoption by UA implementers in a consistent, interoperable manner will
   encourage more widespread use;
   2. we don't believe (and are in fact strongly opposed) to defining such
   rules in either WOFF or CSS3-FONTS, for the simple reason that neither of
   these mechanisms define a proceses for accessing font resources; i.e., they
   have no {FETCH,ACCESS}-RESOURCE primitive;
   3. we do believe that it would be useful to define the *optional* use of
   same-origin mechanisms in those specifications that do define a
   {FETCH,ACCESS}-RESOURCE primitive, such as in the HTML5 specification, where
   by *optional* we mean optional at two layers: (a) at the UA implementation
   layer, and (b) at the UA's user preferences layer; that is, a UA implementer
   should be able to decide whether or not to support same-origin, and if
   supported, a user should be able to opt-out or, conversely, opt-in to
   same-origin restrictions at a level of granularity determined by UA
   implementer;

At this point, I believe I've stated the Samsung position clearly, and there
is no need to further elaborate. I will await the WGs' resolution of this
matter, and will be available for any teleconference or meeting that wishes
to discuss further.

Regards,
Glenn