Re: [www-font] WOFF metadata - should we require (rather than recommend) the use of UTF-8?

On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 4:20 PM, <mpsuzuki@hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

> On Wed, 1 Jun 2011 16:13:12 +1200
> "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>
> >What Jonathan is actually doing is creating
> >a Javascript API that returns a string containing
> >the WOFF metadata. So that code isn't going
> >to be parsing the XML, but it does need to
> >know the encoding so the text can be correctly
> >converted to a Javascript string.
>
> I see. The requirement comes from non-XML field.

Not really. It's just that depending on how your software is structured, you
often need to know the encoding of text before you're ready to do XML
parsing.

The description "well-formed" came from similar
> usecase?

I don't know.

>Any consumer that needs to convert the WOFF
> >metadata to some kind of string (and isn't
> >immediately parsing the XML) will have the same
> >problem.
>
> Indeed. A request to restrict the metadata
> content to ASCII charset is overkill?

That would prevent most of the world's languages from being used in the
metadata, so yes.

Rob