Re: WOFF without same origin restriction in Opera?

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:07 PM, Sylvain Galineau <sylvaing@microsoft.com>wrote:

> A pragmatic solution emerged from very long discussions whereby font makers
> large and small were willing to license their products for web use as long
> as the font was packaged in such a way that it can’t just be dropped in your
> local font folder, and if it was restricted to same-origin by default (most
> licenses are typically single-domain). They don’t expect that’ll stop piracy
> but it matters to them that whoever wants to grab a font has to take steps
> to do so. (Web sites also don’t mind if you save them bandwidth at no extra
> cost but that wasn’t the motivation). So while there is no technical reason
> web fonts should be compressed or SOR’ed, it just so happens that  coding it
> this way makes an order of magnitude more fonts available to web authors and
> gives them more choice on how they want to deploy them. Is  that bad ?

For being packaged such that it cannot just be dropped in your local font
folder, would have sufficed to change the very first byte of the SFNT font
file.  No need for an entirely new container that needs to be supported
across all font tools.

For domain checking, etc, well, why not just include that in the metadata
block for example?

I'm not questioning the design decisions at this point, since it's
pointless, and commonly known that WOFF does not solve a technical problem.
 I'm just pointing out that the decisions are not warranted given the
requirements.  So lets not pretend that they do.

>From what I understand, WOFF is designed such that foundries can police
around the web, download any WOFF they suspect is their intellectual
property and inspect inside to see if the author has licensed it properly.
 If that is the intention, I find it very broken also.  Are foundries
allowed to download arbitrary resources from my website?  I sure didn't give
them permission...

 It also happens that, contrary to your comment below, this solution does **
> not** require anyone to ‘scratch their head trying to get it to work on
> the web’. Quite the contrary. Most licenses require you to serve your font
> from the same domain as your page and everything will work fine as long as
> you do that. Nothing to do on your server except serving the font file. As
> long as all browsers implement SOR you don’t need to do any referrer
> checking to prevent teenagers from linking to the font you paid for in their
> MySpace page either. Just get your license, plop the file on your domain and
> you’re done.
>

> If you do want to serve a font cross-domain then you will need to set one
> single HTTP header on your other server with a value of ‘*’. How is that
> harder than messing with Referrer checks ?

It's not harder.  It's in the same order of hardness.  In both cases you
have to mess with your server configuration.  I guess where we disagree is
whether font foundries should be given the easy spot or the Creative Commons
camp...

I just don't understand why fonts should be treated so specially on the web.
 You can make the same arguments about pretty much every resource on the
web.

behdad

Unfortunately, if some browsers do SOR and others don’t then some web sites