Re: WOFF without SOR?

On Jan 26, 2011, at 10:45 AM, Sylvain Galineau wrote:

>> Of course I'd be pleased to see Opera implement SOR for WOFF as currently
>> required. Adobe's general confidence in WOFF is undermined if SOR is not
>> applied consistently among browsers.
>
> So the fact that about 80% of browsers out there will support SOR (95% if
> WebKit also does) is not enough ? In practice, it means most sites will
> have to comply in order to serve most of their users.

It undermines confidence. It might or might not be enough.

I'm concerned that SOR-for-WOFF might eventually ebb away if it's not completely supported at the outset. You could credibly argue that Opera's market share is too insignificant to worry about, but if there's a particular market or region where Opera dominates (or comes to dominate), then the impact of cross-site linking becomes more worrisome. Certain foundries might want to concentrate on specific markets or regions, and if they find that Opera has, say, a 60% share there, then it's a problem.

-Christopher