RE: Minutes, 16 February 2011 WebFonts WG telcon

Thinking about this a little more, and since the web's
consistency has been brought up several times lately,
it is probably worth elaborating upon.

The reason From-origin:same will be set on licensed
commercial fonts hosted by the licensee has nothing to do
with 'the web'. As such, the so-called exception for font
resources will occur at run-time on the web whatever browser
vendors do. So the issue is not really about 'the web', it's
a simple practical one: given that this header value will
have to be set so often for font resources, where/when is
it easiest and cheapest to set it ?

I don't believe the web to be cleaner when every author,
hosting service or app server maker have to expend additional
time, energy and effort configuring a default that browsers
can implement at minimal cost (especially since the bulk of
the engineering cost is in implementing From-origin for all
file types, not in setting a default for @font-face). Putting
this burden on the community sounds more like arbitrary web
bureaucracy than architecture.

At the very least, it can be argued to contradict other web
design principles such as HTML's [1]:

"In case of conflict, consider users over authors over
implementors over specifiers over theoretical purity".

(Note: Anne and Maciej co-authored this document)

If implementations' runtime cleanliness and architectural
purity are the priority for the web then raw font resources
loaded from anywhere are ideal. And from that point of view
it will be argued - and it has been, most often by Opera
staff - that overall WOFF *is* an exception to the general
pattern. Agreeing to such an exception and then arguing
we should pretend it isn't one feels like sitting between
two chairs (as in the furniture, not the WG folks; although
we probably are doing that too).

I guess I'm really wondering why Opera bothers with WOFF at all.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/html-design-principles/#priority-of-constituencies