Re: SOR: CORS or From-Origin?

Hi,

On 11 February 2011 07:00, Levantovsky, Vladimir
<Vladimir.Levantovsky@monotypeimaging.com> wrote:
> On Thursday, February 10, 2011 7:07 PM David Singer wrote:
>> On Feb 10, 2011, at 15:56 , Levantovsky, Vladimir wrote:
>> >
>> "From Origin"
>> header would work exactly as proposed if present. However, the default
>> behavior can be specified by the WOFF spec that in absence of "From
>> Origin" header must be treated as if "From Origin: same" is set. In my
>> admittedly 'under-educated' opinion, this would resolve all the
>> concerns that Håkon and Anne had presented (i.e. the same "From Origin"
>> header can be used with any other media type "without causing havoc"),
>> and the only difference is that the alternative default behavior is
>> specified by WOFF spec.
>>
>> I think there may be some opposition to a type-specific rule (e.g. "for
>> files with the type WOFF"), and some discussion of the alternative
>> link-specific rule ("for files linked from CSS font-face").  My
>> understanding is that at least some of the current implementations of
>> CORS/SOR are in fact, not type-specific but link-specific.
>
> I agree. I am not advocating type-specific rule, and would be very
> much in favor of link-specific rule as it is currently implemented
> by Firefox and IE9, and spec'ed in the WOFF spec. The only
> difference would be that we would drop a reference to CORS,
> adopting instead a "From Origin" header proposal from Anne
> and Håkon, and, like Sylvain proposed, specifying the default
> behavior to be the one where absence of the "From Origin"
> header would be treated as if "From Origin: same" is
> present - for all types of resources linked to Web documents
> using CSS @font-face rules.

I fully agree. I think Anne has a point, and a change to the CSS3
@font-face spec as Vlad outlines here will answer that point.

I think for WOFF to achieve its aims, this WG needs to agree on
specifying that SOR is the default behaviour for at least WOFF, and
better, all fonts.

(Also: I apologise for not participating more fully in the WG the last
few months, I've been busy with work :-)