RE: WOFF and extended metadata

On Wednesday, May 19, 2010 10:11 PM Sylvain Galineau wrote:

> - And of course all UAs would have to do this to reap the full
> benefits, whatever they may be. Yet I very much doubt phone browsers
> will bother providing a UI to display this info and spend their
> precious CPU cycles and battery power parsing it.

This is exactly the reason why I asked the question about metadata support during the conference call - I would really like us to explore the possibility of making a stronger position about the UA support for extended metadata. I understand that there will always be use cases when mandatory support for it would not be practical (mobile browsers, printers, document processors (e.g. Prince), but the fact on the grounds is exactly as Sylvain put it - 'all' (i.e. at least all PC versions) UAs would have to do this to reap the full rewards - for font vendors, for web authors and for end users.

I understand the complexities involved in making this decision but I would really like to give it a chance.

Thank you,
Vlad