W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-webevents@w3.org > April to June 2012

Draft minutes: 12 June 2012 call

From: Arthur Barstow <art.barstow@nokia.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2012 12:14:56 -0400
Message-ID: <4FD76B00.5080205@nokia.com>
To: "public-webevents@w3.org" <public-webevents@w3.org>
The draft minutes from the June 12 voice conference are available at the 
following and copied below:

http://www.w3.org/2012/06/12-webevents-minutes.html

WG Members - if you have any comments, corrections, etc., please send 
them to the public-webevents mail list before June 19. In the absence of 
any changes, these minutes will be considered approved.

-Thanks, AB

    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                      Web Events WG Voice Conference

12 Jun 2012

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012AprJun/0008.html

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2012/06/12-webevents-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Art_Barstow, Cathy_Chan, Doug_Schepers, Scott_Gonzαlez,
           Rick_Byers, Sangwhan_Moon, Matt_Brubeck

    Regrets
    Chair
           Art

    Scribe
           Art

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Tweak Agenda
          2. [6]Announcements
          3. [7]Update on Touch Events PAG
          4. [8]Status of IndieUI Task Force
          5. [9]AoB
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      __________________________________________________________

    <scribe>  ScribeNick: ArtB

    <scribe>  Scribe: Art

    Date: 12 June 2012

Tweak Agenda

    AB: I posted a draft agenda yesterday
    [11]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012Ap
    rJun/0008.html. Any change requests?

      [11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012AprJun/0008.html.

Announcements

    AB: any short announcements for today? The only one I had is
    that the IndieUI WG has finally started
    [12]http://www.w3.org/2012/05/indie-ui-charter and we will talk
    about its Task Force with WebEvents WG during today's meeting.
    ... any other announcements?

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2012/05/indie-ui-charter

    RB: I work for Google

    … lead a team here

    … one item is adding touch to Chrome

    … and want to do it in a standard way

    … would be best if the TE spec was already a Recommendation

    … would like to add semantics on top of the Touch API

    AB: thanks Rick and welcome to the group

Update on Touch Events PAG

    AB: The Touch Events PAG
    [13]http://www.w3.org/2012/01/touch-pag-charter had a call last
    week for the first time since April
    [14]https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-te-pag/.
    ... the set of disclosures
    [15]http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/45559/status#current-disc
    losures is one patent and five patent applications, all from
    Apple.
    ... the PAG's discussions are all Member confidential.

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2012/01/touch-pag-charter
      [14] https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/member-te-pag/.
      [15] http://www.w3.org/2004/01/pp-impl/45559/status#current-disclosures

    DS: WGs do not discuss specific patents

    … and we will not do so today

    … PAGs, however, are the right place to discuss patents

    … PAGs look at the disclosed patents and/or patent applications

    … and ultimately, the PAG makes a recommendation to the WG on
    what to do next

    … Among the possible recommendations are: proceed with the spec
    as is, change the spec, stop the work, etc.

    [ Art and Doug summarized the Member-confidential discussions
    of the PAG … ]

    <sangwhan>
    [16]https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7479257/pointevents_strawman.txt

      [16] https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7479257/pointevents_strawman.txt

Status of IndieUI Task Force

    AB: as previously announced (
    [17]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012Ap
    rJun/0001.html), the IndieUI Task Force (TF)
    [18]http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/IUITF had its first call on
    June 6 [19]http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html.
    ... the IndieUI WG is under the Web Accessibility Initiative
    (WAI). AFAIU, it is the first WG within WAI to do its technical
    work in Public.
    ... as described in the IndieUI WG's charter
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2012/05/indie-ui-charter#deliverables, a
    joint WG TF is used to make provide flexibility for Members
    that may have some IP/patents in this area.
    ... anyone in the WebEvents WG may participate in this TF but
    you have to ask Doug to register you. I agreed to do some
    "recruiting" within this WG so please consider joining this TF
    and telling other people about it. I think the work is going to
    be very interesting and useful.
    ... the TF will work on two specs: 1) IndieUI User Events; 2)
    IndieUI User Context. Based on discussion during the TF's June
    6 call, my expectation is that at least Apple will provide
    input(s) for the User Events spec and that at least IBM will
    provide inputs for the User Context.
    ... any questions, comments, concerns, etc. re this TF?
    ... I want to push the TF to make Calls for Input for the 2
    specs
    ... any questions, comments, concerns, etc. re this TF?

      [17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2012AprJun/0001.html)
      [18] http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/IUITF
      [19] http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html.
      [20] http://www.w3.org/2012/05/indie-ui-charter#deliverables

    SM: I don't think there are enough browser vendors
    participating

    DS: yes, I can understand that concern

    … but Apple is of course a browser vendor

    … I think people familiar with API design and implementation
    would be welcome in the TF

    RB: I am interested

    … but not sure on the time commitment

    … A11Y is important to us

    … If can do something like "capture the semantics of zooming"

    … then I'd be very interested

    … and could help get an implementation into Webkit and Chrome

    … Gestures like rotate are important too

    … We need standards for this

    AB: I think Doug and I have an ongoing action to keep the
    WebEvents WG up to date on the status of the TF

    RB: theres' a lot of stuff that could be done in this area

    … so some prioritization work needs to be done

    AB: agree

    … and I think the TF already had some discusssion about the
    need for UCs and Requirements

    DS: good point

    … it needs to get on the agenda for a TF call

    … as that will help with the prioritization

    … We will get to UCs and Reqs in an upcoming TF meeting

    AB: yes, that's an important task for Doug and I to push

    … Sangwhan, I agree with the concern about browser vendors

    DS: remember, one can join the TF and lurk

    … Since there are Joint deliverables, if IndieUI specs are
    important, it makes sense to join the TF

    RB: thanks for the feedback on the participation

    … I was concerned about overcommitment

    DS: I don't think that will be a problem

    … Do you agree Art?

    AB: yes

    RB: I was concerned about the Good Standing requirement

    DS: I will push back about the GS requirement

    AB: I have already pushed back about the GS requirement

    <mbrubeck1>  Also, if you are going to miss a telcon (or have
    just missed one) you can send regrets by email instead.

    AB: do you know Matt if Mozilla is interested in IndieUI?

    MB: yes, there is interest

    DS: we would love to have implementers involved

    AB: +1 to what Doug said

    CC: is Microsoft a member of the IndieUI WG?

    AB: no, not at the moment

AoB

    AB: then next call will be when there is a need for a meeting
    ... anything else for today?

    RB: has there been discussion about what a browser should do to
    emulate a touch?

    MB: we talked about that a little

    … there is a little non-normative info about that

    … and deliberately vague until implementers can give us
    something more concrete to say

    RB: I don't think we have enough data either

    … but will be difficult to write apps to handle mouse and touch
    events

    MB: we do have some info in the spec about the start and stop
    events

    RB: we have some apps that break when touch and mouse events
    are used together

    … RIM uses a meta tag to help with this problem

    SM: think moving to a unified event model makes sense

    SG: agree we need to move to a unified event model

    DS: yes, moving to something like Msft's pointer model may be
    good

    … or to see what Sangwhan has specified

    RB: so, it's good to see this is in scope for the WebEvents WG

    DS: good to have more implementers

    MB: yes, and getting someone from Android browser would be good
    too

    RB: I can try to find the right person

    SM: if anyone has comments on my proposal or the Msft pointer
    model, that would be great
    ... fyi, Anders_Hφckersten left Opera

    AB: meeting adjourned

Summary of Action Items

    [End of minutes]
Received on Tuesday, 12 June 2012 16:15:30 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.4.0 : Friday, 17 January 2020 19:03:54 UTC