Fwd: Re: WebEvents-ISSUE-9: Interaction of touch events and mouse events [Touch Events spec]

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: WebEvents-ISSUE-9: Interaction of touch events and mouse
events [Touch Events spec]
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 01:24:16 +0200
From: Peter-Paul Koch <pp.koch@gmail.com>
To: Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com>

On 31 March 2011 00:48, Matt Brubeck <mbrubeck@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  May I forward it to the list?  (It looks like you
> sent it to me alone.)

Oh, right, I keep forgetting the list configuration. Forward along.

> On 03/30/2011 03:29 PM, Peter-Paul Koch wrote:
>>
>> To be honest I always thought of this Firefox behaviour as an error.
>> The de-facto standard is the implementation I described earlier. Did
>> Firefox do this because IE does it on Windows 7 touch?
>
> I wasn't involved in implementing or specifying the Firefox touch events,
> but as far as I can tell, Firefox fires mouse events just because, as far as
> it can tell, the mouse *is* moving.

Because there is a cursor, too. Yes, I see.

> Also, mobile browsers that use touch gestures for their own UI (scrolling,
> zooming, etc.) have a good reason to suppress mouse events, because they
> won't work as expected.  Firefox for Windows does not use touch events for
> scrolling, so there's no need to suppress mouse events.

Then how do you scroll on a Windows 7 touch device? I kind of assumed
it had a similar UI to touchscreen phones, but I have no experience
with Windows 7 touch devices.

> Among other things, this means existing pages which use mousemove events
> (e.g. for drag and drop) will work in Firefox 4 on a Windows 7 touch tablet,
> while they will not work in mobile browsers like Android or Safari.

> For example, if Firefox for Windows used the "de-facto standard" way of
> handling mouse events, then you couldn't use it to interact with the regular
> (desktop) Google Maps site on a touchscreen.

Hm, yes, that makes an unfortunate amount of sense. Makes me wonder
how you interact with Google Maps on a touchscreen device (can't test
it right now).

Still, having two different sets of events is going to cause problems
in the future. I tend to think the spec shouldn't stray into this
territory; or maybe note that there are conflicting priorities for
handling the mouse events in a touch environment.

Sorry, no bright ideas right now,

ppk, mobile platform strategist
http://quirksmode.org/about/
+.31.6.29585782