Re: WebEvents-ISSUE-4: Does preventDefault on touchmove cause a dragging motion to fire a click event? [Touch Events spec]

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 3:21 PM, Peter-Paul Koch <pp.koch@gmail.com> wrote:

> > WebEvents-ISSUE-4: Does preventDefault on touchmove cause a dragging
> motion to fire a click event? [Touch Events spec]
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/4
> >
> > Raised by: Matt Brubeck
> > On product: Touch Events spec
> >
> > Andrew Grieve <
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JanMar/0043.html
> >:
> > [[
> > If preventDefault() is called on all touchmove events, should a click be
> > fired even after dragging and taking your finger off the screen?
> >  -This is the case with iOS
> >  -I can't think of why this would be desirable.
> > ]]
>
> I'd say Yes, the click event should fire. One user action triggers
> several events here, and the fact that you prevent the default of one
> should not influence the firing of other events. It may not be very
> desirable, but it is logical. (As far as I'm concerned.)

I think if the answer is yes, then just the opposite is happening -
preventDefault is affecting the firing of other events. The question here is
about a swipe that would not normally have fired a click, but does only
because preventDefault() was called on all of the touchmove events.