Re: First Draft, Touch Interface Spec

Janina,

Can we get James spec. in charter? It is a minor but essential change and
hopefully it won't take as long as last time. Without it, we won't have the
access that we need on mobile.

Rich

Rich Schwerdtfeger
CTO Accessibility Software Group

From:	Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org>
To:	Richard Schwerdtfeger/Austin/IBM@IBMUS
Cc:	James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>, Arthur Barstow
            <art.barstow@nokia.com>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>,
            public-webevents@w3.org
Date:	01/25/2011 06:28 PM
Subject:	Re: First Draft, Touch Interface Spec
Sent by:	public-webevents-request@w3.org

Hi, folks-

Richard Schwerdtfeger wrote (on 1/25/11 2:43 PM):

> Doug put out a proposal that was low level and included gesture
> recognition and he state that this was not the higher level events.
> There is nothing to clarify with respect to touch interfaces. Doug's
> clear words regarding the touch events specification:

Just to be clear, normatively defining gesture events is explicitly out
of scope for the Web Events WG, per our charter:
   http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/charter/Overview.html

The low-level Touch Interface events spec does not and will not define
gestures.

>>  Just so you know, this is the "low-level events" spec... I will follow
>>  it up with the "high-level events" spec soon. (This spec was perhaps
>>  more difficult and more fundamental, so I wanted to tackled it first.)
>
> What would be of help would be to clarify whether the "high level
> events" is somehow tied to what you are doing. If not it would be very
> helpful if it were so that we do not have two specs. trying to do the
> same thing.

My intent with the high-level (intentional/representational) events spec
is to coordinate with James in whatever manner we can, and hopefully we
can work on the same spec as part of a joint deliverable with the PFWG,
in which James (and Apple) participates.

Perhaps we should start looking at getting that spec in charter for PFWG
right away, to facilitate his work on it down the road?

Regards-
-Doug

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-dom/2010JulSep/att-0106/UserInterfaceIndependence.html