Re: WebEvents-ISSUE-3: Click event target after DOM mutation during touchstart [Touch Events spec]

On Feb 16, 2011, at 12:48 AM, Web Events Working Group Issue Tracker wrote:

> WebEvents-ISSUE-3: Click event target after DOM mutation during touchstart [Touch Events spec]
>
> http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/track/issues/3
>
> Raised by: Matt Brubeck
> On product: Touch Events spec
>
> Andrew Grieve <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webevents/2011JanMar/0043.html>:
> [[
> If the user taps the screen, and the page changes the DOM within the context
> of the touchstart event, should a click event be fired on the new DOM?
> -this is the case for both Android & iPhone
> -Mobile Google Docs takes advantage of this by placing a textarea under
> your click
> -It would also be nice to prevent the click, say with a preventDefault() on
> the touchend.
> ]]

Sounds very related to ISSUE-4.

I personally think preventDefault on any touch event should prevent any consequential mouse events that would be fired as a interpreted result of the touch event - and since most implementations fire the mouse events as a result of touchstart-touchend, it should blocking touchend shouldn't fire any mouse events.

The initial writing draft for the resolution to ISSUE-4 was this:

"If the preventDefault method of any touch event is called, the user agent should not dispatch any mouse event that would be a consequential result of the the prevented touch event. "

But after some real-world implementation tests, I ended up aligning it with what is out in the world, so only touchstart and touchmove has been mentioned - but I'd personally like to expand the scope to all touch events if there are no objections.

--
Sangwhan Moon, Opera Software ASA
XMPP: smoon@opera.com | Mobile: +372-5971-6147