Re: preventDefault research

On 04/26/2011 06:58 PM, Andrew Grieve wrote:
> I can be a bit more exact for Android/iOS:
> I'm fairly sure that preventDefault only prevents scrolling on android
> if you call it on the very first touchmove event.

Thanks for the extra details!

I edited the spec to specify that preventDefault on touchstart events
should prevent mouse events:
http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/rev/22e39e76033e

All other default actions are currently undefined.  I'm open to
proposals to specify more default behavior (especially panning), but I
also think it would be okay to leave some of them
implementation-defined, at least for now.

> On iOS, if you call preventDefault on a single touchmove event at any
> point before scroll mode is entered then scrolling will be disabled for
> the duration of the touch (not necessarily the very first touchmove).

Interesting - I think this does not match the behavior I got for Safari
on an old version of iOS.  (I don't have any hardware that runs the
current version.)

>     3) preventDefault on the touchend event does NOT prevent scrolling
>     or mouse events.
>
> I believe that it will prevent a click from firing on the latest iOS and
> on the Playbook.

Oh yes, I should have mentioned that I was testing Android 2.2 and Opera
Mobile 11 on Samsung Galaxy Tab and HTC T-Mobile G2, and Safari 4 for
iOS 3.1 on first-generation iPod touch.