Re: ASN.1 encoding. What is wrong and some possible ways forward.

On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 11:00 AM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2016 at 8:33 AM, Jason Proctor <jason@mono.hm> wrote:
>
>> i for one have to redo my entire web client strategy if we lose it.
>>

> Can you explain why this is? Why doesn't simply using asn1.js to ingest
> the BER/DER data and spit out a JWK for import, or, on export, take a JWK
> and convert using asn1.js to BER/DER, suffice?
>
> What functionality is provided by the ASN.1 support that cannot simply be
> done by converting to/from JWK?

well, i could write a chunk of conversion code, true enough. but then
everyone who has to support asn.1 keys has to do it, and i'd prefer it get
done once by people who know what they're doing and then shared, instead.
so i'm in support of the browser doing it.

IMHO, if WC doesn't support the standard(ish) formats that people have
around, that's a barrier to adoption, and i'd like to see as few of those
as possible.