Re: WebCrypto edits on key material (Option 2)

On Mon, Jan 18, 2016 at 12:00 PM, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

> Again, we're not asking for the impossible :)

You are asking for the unreasonable, and it's surprising how unclear that
is.

You're asking for a spec to be edited without any involvement from other
UAs, or active contributions, to try to figure out what everyone's
implementing, and with no guarantee that what is implemented will be
consistent, compatible, or appropriate for being spec'd.

> However, we are asking for
> a timeline. Given a conservative baseline assumption that no further
> development will happen in existing UA, what do you think would be a
> realistic time-line for you to make the edits that would make you happy
> with the spec and its interoperability?

Without the continued and active involvement in other UAs to work towards a
solution, there is no such timeline possible.

With the active involvement of other UAs, you're asking me to predict the
future issues and how long they will take to resolve, which is unbounded.

Hopefully you can see why this continued push towards PR, without the
active involvement towards resolution and without any commitment or ability
to make changes from any other UA, is a return to the W3C of old (which
lead to the WHATWG), rather than the supposed W3C of today.