Re: [W3C Web Crypto WG] Our call today @ 20:00 UTC

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 4:50 AM, GALINDO Virginie
<Virginie.Galindo@gemalto.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
> A kind reminder that we will have a one hour call today at 20:00 UTC.
> Harry's proposal below will help deciding on droping some algorithms from browser profile.
> Regards,
> Virginie

I can't attend today due to my time zone, but I did want to make a
couple of comments below.

> From: Harry Halpin [mailto:hhalpin@w3.org]
>
> Algorithms up for removal (less than 2 implementations):
>
> RSA-PSS
> AES-CTR
> AES-CMAC
> AES-CFB
> DH
> CONCAT
> HKDF
> PBKDF2
>
> Algorithms in Browser Profile (all implementations):
> RSASSA-PKCS1-v1_5
> RSA-OAEP
> AES-CBC
> AES-GCM
> AES-KW
> HMAC
> SHA-256
> SHA-384
> SHA-512

- PBKDF2 is supported on both Chrome and Firefox, though only with
SHA-1 when I tried it on Firefox.

- Even if it was on only one implementation of PBKDF2, I support
keeping it in the spec. There are a lot of use cases that rely on
deriving keys from passwords, and none of the algorithms for this
would make the cut from the list shown.

- Rather than aggressively dropping algorithms I'd prefer to instead
recommend the algorithms in the second list (plus a key derivation
algorithm) be the desirable minimal set of algorithms. This would aid
interoperability between browsers. Browsers that can support more
algorithms would then have a standard specification of how they should
do so.

Thanks. Sorry I can't make the call today.

Charlie