From: Ryan Sleevi
Sent: 5/12/2013 5:19 PM
To: Mike Jones
Cc: Marcin Stankiewicz; public-webcrypto@w3.org; Israel Hilerio
Subject: Re: AES-GCM Algorithm is missing tag properties for input params and result value

On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 12:32 AM, Mike Jones
<Michael.Jones@microsoft.com> wrote:
> JOSE rejected using RFC 5116 encodings because the library implementations
> of the existing authenticated encryption algorithms almost always provide
> separate inputs for the key, initialization vector, and plaintext, and
> separate outputs for the ciphertext and authentication tag.  It’s therefore
> a more natural mapping from existing crypto libraries to the JOSE encoding
> by not combining any of the inputs or outputs, as RFC 5116 proposes to do –
> making life easier for implementers.

Interesting. I'm only aware of CNG doing this. Other APIs - including
the industry standard PKCS#11 - provide the RFC 5116 style interface.

That's not to say we can't do things differently from 5116, but it's
important to understand one way or the other when we make these
decisions, for consistency sake.

> Also, by not making assumptions about how long the IV and tag values are
> (which is required if you’re going to use RFC 5116), we can support the full
> generality of the legal inputs and outputs of GCM and other authenticated
> encryption algorithms.  Otherwise, you have to, for instance, fix the IV to
> 96 bits and the tag to 128 bits, which is a fine set of defaults, but not
> always how the algorithms are used in practice.  WebCrypto, being a
> low-level API, should support the general form, where the sizes of the IV
> and tag are chosen by the caller, rather than an RFC 5116 specialization of
> the algorithms.

That's interesting that you mention the IV vs nonce in the same
message as talking about looking at other libraries.

The vast majority of implementations that I've examined are hardcoded
with assumptions about the IV and nonce and do not allow applications
to customize options according to the full range of GCM.

Is this perhaps another example of a CNG-specific aspect creeping in
to discussions?

Similar to past discussions about MGF customization for PSS/OAEP, I'm
not confident we're going to be able to support distinct IV sizes in a
way that will be interoperable between many (existing) libraries. So
we have to choose whether to spec something optimistically (that won't
likely get implemented for several years) or to spec it pragmatically,
knowing it's not as "full featured" (but knowing no real protocols
make use of that...)

Truncated nonces are easier - the caller always supplies the length
anyways - so it also doesn't seem to have any of the ambiguity you
suggest would exist.