Re: verify method

On Jun 26, 2013, at 3:20 PM, Ryan Sleevi <sleevi@google.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 11:23 AM, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> wrote:
>> Ryan,
>>
>> It is not clear to me if a verify operation where the finish operation fails
>> because the signature values do not match, if the promise fails or succeeds
>> and returns a fail result.
>
> Reasonable question.
>
> There are two options here. This would also apply to authenticated
> encryption modes
>
> 1) Resolve the promise with a failure result (eg: an empty
> ArrayBuffer, a boolean false)
> 2) Reject the promise, with some sort of indicative error code
>
> It seems more useful to authors to reject the promise, as that allows
> for an easier .then() flow. This would then argue for some sort of
> distinguishing error code, to distinguish between a promise being
> rejected for other reasons (unsupported alg? invalid params?) versus
> being rejected because a signature/mac/tag didn't validate.
>
> Thoughts from the WG?

It seems marginally more useful to me to resolve if the validation proceeds correctly, returning a boolean with the result of the validation.  There are effectively two returned values here:
1. Reject / resolve
2. Value returned on resolution

ISTM that it would make sense to make those values equivalent to:
1. Whether validation proceeded correctly (reject if not)
2. Whether validation was successful

That separates cryptographic errors from mechanical errors.  It seems marginally nicer to program with:
  validate(things).then( handleValidationResult )
As opposed to:
  validate(things).then( handleValidationSuccess, handleValidationFailure )

But I don't feel very strongly one way or the other.

--Richard