Re: JWK web crypto attributes

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 4:27 PM, Jim Schaad <ietf@augustcellars.com> wrote:
> It would be useful for the JOSE working group if there could be a decision
> about what attributes need to be defined in the JWK document for
> import/export of keys before the F2F meeting next week.
>
> If we are just going to define them in the W3C document it is not an issue
> and we can take care of that when this document goes final.
>
> As of now, I am assuming that two possible attributes are needed:
>
> Extractable - which takes a true/false value
> Name - which takes a string value and allows for a key to be named in the
> event it is to be saved.  (Currently not clear to me if keys are named at
> the time of import or at the time they would be saved into the database).
>
> Jim

I believe Mark has previously indicated that both extractable and
usages are needed.

Currently, 3.2 of JWK-draft-13 (
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-jose-json-web-key-13#section-3.2
) only supports 'sig' and 'enc'. It specifies other values MAY be
used, but the field only supports a SINGLE usage, whereas WebCrypto
keys may support MULTIPLE usages.

So if we go that route, "use" may need to change - especially in light
of public/private keys anyways (eg: decryption-only keys)

I don't understand why Name is needed - WebCrypto Key objects have no
such property, and the other spec indicates they're *Pre-Provisioned*
keys.

For WebCrypto Key objects, they're structured cloned into other
storage - eg: IndexedDB - and the IDB key (of key-value pair) may be
used to describe the name - or any number of other ways of storing
name/value pairs that store a keys name, without requiring it in the
JWK or WebCrypto.

So -1 to standardizing name. Especially given "kid".