From: "David Dahl" <ddahl@mozilla.com>
To: "Ali Asad" <Asad.Ali@gemalto.com>
Cc: "James L. Davenport" <jdavenpo@mitre.org>, public-webcrypto@w3.org
Sent: Friday, June 8, 2012 11:18:56 AM
Subject: Re: Need for Smart Card support

----- Original Message -----

I would like to see what the interfaces for this look like.

A. How does the browser (in a cross-browser and platform way) know about the secure element? In other words, how is the secure element registered with the browser?

B. Does the secure element appear to the browser as another software API that can be called, e.g: window.crypto.secureElement.* ?

* or *

C. Does the secure element export keys which the browser imports and uses like any other keys that have a key handle?

I wonder what this looks like in practice. Is this a combination of crypto API + new browser features that 'register' the secure element with the  browser?  It does not appear an API can do all of this alone.

Cheers,

David