Re: Syntax idea: Constructors

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 6:03 AM, Richard Barnes <rbarnes@bbn.com> wrote:
> This might be a simple question, but I wanted to see what the group's thoughts are.
>
> Right now, a lot of the API is devoted to createFoo() methods.  Is there any reason for these not to just be constructors for new object types?  For example:
>
> OLD: var d = window.crypto.createDigester("sha256");
> NEW: var d = new Digest("SHA-256");
>
> It doesn't really seem like the various operations are sharing any resources, so they don't really need to be tied back to the master Crypto interface.
>
> Humbly submitted,
> --Richard

Hi Richard,

I wasn't sure if you were on the last call (Monday), but I did send
out an announcement about the updates to the editor's draft, available
at https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webcrypto-api/raw-file/f5e8d9a3e18f/spec/Overview.html

You will see that the createVerb-er methods have been renamed to
"verb", and return Promises-like objects.

I also raised this issue back in August, as ISSUE-37, and discussed
some of the pros and cons there.

Still, please take a look at the latest editor's draft and provide
feedback, since this is being proposed as the next public working
draft (for discussion on next week's call)