Re: Will the WebCrypto API allow discovery/enumeration of certificates?

Hello Ryan,

It is not obvious to me the privacy or security reasons why a web application should not be able to enumerate trusted roots and client certificates in the user certificate store. The whole point of a digital certificate is that it is public. Can you elaborate on those reasons?

Regarding security and privacy to me it is more concerning that web crypto only works with private keys stored in the browser store, and doesn’t allow me to use private keys stored in secure devices, like physical tokens.

For instance my application needs to be able to sign documents and transactions, (something like web crypto scenario "2.4 document signing") using a private key associated to a certificate issued by my country’s official CA.  First my application needs to find in the user store for a certificate issued by my country’s CA, that has a matching private key, then ask the browser to generate a digital signature using that private key, the browser ask the user for permission to use the private key (in my case it has to ask for a PIN cause the private key is stored in a smart card), if the user accepts the browser ask the smart card to generate the digital signature.  In my case for security and privacy reasons all the crypto operations are done inside the smart card, the private key never leaves the smart card.

Thanks in advance,

Su aliado en la Web...

Ing Billy Simón Ch.

Gerente de Tecnología