From: Salz, Rich [mailto:rsalz@akamai.com]
Sent: mardi 13 mai 2014 17:00
To: Mark Watson
Cc: Vijay Bharadwaj; public-webcrypto-comments@w3.org
Subject: RE: "Recommended" is a bad word :)

> Would it help to augment the existing warning text cited by Vijay with some _examples_ of published attacks / weaknesses for some of the algorithms ?

How does that not run into the same concern about being taken as a comprehensive warning?  Is “For example, …” considered that much less compelling? As for examples, just read the titles in the proposed security references section.

> IIUC the concern with the proposed text is that it might give the impression we're providing exhaustive, up-to-date advice and that we have some agreed yardstick by which to measure whether a given algorithm should get a thumbs up or thumbs down.

There will never be exhaustive, up-to-date advice. Given that truism, what do you do?  That’s a real question. And as for the yardstick, you’ve got a list of open references, and the original CFRG/Paterson et al email message gave a summary.

--
Principal Security Engineer
Akamai Technologies, Cambridge, MA

Although all reasonable efforts have been made to keep this transmission free from viruses, the sender will not be liable for damages caused by a transmitted virus