Re: Proposed API Extension for X.509 Certificates and Smart Cards

I do think that it would be useful to have some level of access to keys on
secure storage, smart card, from javascript in the browser.

The use case that I think is relevant is:
Organisations that does not trust other storage then e.g. smart cards wants
to sign web forms. This problem has been solved by browser plugins and
similar solutions. Or has been excluded from the possible use for the smart
cards.
With the suggested solution we could move away from browser plugins and
still use keys on e.g. smart cards.
Is that not a use case? or a problem worth solving?

Regarding having to reissue lots of certificates, several setups that I
have seen have self service for renewal of cards so it might not be super
hard to do. Further certificates might be valid for three years i.e. within
three years it would be possible to have this attribute on all certificates
that needs it (seems reasonable in my world).

Finally if a card is issed for a domain, then you cannot sell or leave that
domain until those cards have expired, more or less three years (not an
eternity). That will have to be a consideration to take into account when
starting to issue certificates with this attribute.

Cheers
//Samuel