Proposed API Extension for X.509 Certificates and Smart Cards

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2014 22:33:42 +0100
To: public-webcrypto-comments@w3.org
CC: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>, GALINDO Virginie <virginie.galindo@gemalto.com>, Samuel Erdtman <samuel@erdtman.se>
Ladies and Gentlemen,

A year ago I submitted a pretty complex proposal for adding X.509 and smart card capabilities
to WebCrypto based on a "bridging" scheme.  Approximately the same time a fellow developer
in this field Samuel Erdtman of NexusSafe suggested a much simpler way forward, albeit still
building on a bridge concept.

Following the golden rule that "less is more" I have with Samuel's permission merged a
minor portion of my API ideas with his concept:

http://webpki.org/papers/PKI/x509-webcrypto-extension-scheme.pdf

Enjoy!

Anders Rundgren