Re: Proposed API extension for Fido U2F devices

On Tue, Feb 11, 2014 at 11:27 PM, Anders Rundgren <
anders.rundgren.net@gmail.com> wrote:

>  On 2014-02-11 17:28, Harry Halpin wrote:
>
> On 02/11/2014 04:37 PM, Siva Narendra wrote:
>
> Anders & Co.  SIM cards are not the only secure element solution or form
> factor. There are microSD, USB,  Bluetooth interface form factors that are
> not locked by carriers and they are device agnostic. In fact some of them
> can be used across multiple devices. And Smart cards that run Java card OS
> can be used to load virtually any security applet.
>
> There seems to be some preconceived notions of what smart cards are. I
> would request all of you to have an open mind based on the fact that smart
> card silicon is the one of the only, if not the only, globally standard
> hardware that exists today that is certified by ISO, Global Platform and
> Common Compliance standards.
>
> Let me reiterate - the proposal is not smart cards instead of other
> hardware. But rather the proposal is smart card be supported in this
> community if hardware is in scope.
>
> Irrespective of W3C community support or not smart card interface to
> Webcrypto API will happen. There is a community of companies that will
> build it. We already are, based on work that was done with Firefox. It is
> really up to all of you to decide if W3C will take the dogmatic position of
> not supporting smart cards, which seems to be the prevailing position.
>

> The W3C is of course open to a smartcard interface and is *not* against
> supporting smart cards in future versions or extensions to Web Crypto -
> this work is only out of scope for the current version. We fully expect
> this to be discussed also at the future workshop I mentioned in Sept.
>
> Anders is not an Invited Expert or a member of the Working Group as well,
> so his emails are in not representative of the WG. While he sometimes makes
> contributions over the comment mailing list, he also has made incorrect and
> provocative statements in the past.
>

> Sure, Anders is a self-proclaimed expert in this space.  Since he's not
> employed by a large vendor, he can talk and write about things that none of
> the big-guy representatives are allowed to do including tiny "flies in the
> soup" like the fact that SIM-cards are useless for the bulk of the
> authentication market which in his (occasionally provoking) opinion means
> that U2F may very well mark the start of the end of the SIM-card itself.
>
> Unless the vendors adapt (in time) to this completely new situation,
> SIM-cards will most likely follow the downward path Nokia once did.
>
> Regarding the workshop, I must confess that I don't really see the point;
> wouldn't it be easier just publishing position papers or specifications on
> the subject?  Google have now presented their take on security hardware.
> The U2F specs are BTW really nice reading since they contain considerable
> amounts of use-case information and rationale that even a layman can
> understand!
>
> Anders

Just to correct Anders' overly broad/general statement - It's not Google,
it is the FIDO Alliance that have now presented their take on security
hardware. This is not simply a Google effort, and continually presenting it
as so does a great disservice to the many members and may create undue
conflict or hostility. As you can see via
http://fidoalliance.org/membership/members , membership is comprised not
just of Google, but a variety of others - which, among UA vendors, includes
Blackberry and Microsoft, among hardware vendors includes CrucialTec, NXP,
Oberthur, RSA, Synaptics, and Yubico, and among finance includes Discover,
Mastercard, and PayPal.