Re: WebCrypto API Developers Feedback

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Mountie Lee <mountie.lee@mw2.or.kr> wrote:

> Hi.
> let me add my comment for your questions.
>

> On Thu, Mar 14, 2013 at 1:53 PM, Matthias Dugué <mdugue@clever-age.com>wrote:
>
>> Dear WebCrypto WG members,
>>
>> We are web developers, working in a web agency for various clients and
>> various projects, from institutional to e-commerce websites.
>>
>> We looked very closely into the WebCrypto API. Here are some thoughts,
>> from our point of view:
>>
>> In our opinion, nowadays, the low-level API requires some skills that the
>> average developer doesn't have, which makes us think the high-level API is
>> even more relevant and should be delivered quickly. Admittedly, it is a
>> low-level API, but this makes it hard to use for a broad spectrum of web
>> developers, mostly because of its permissive nature with many security
>> choices, namely algorithms. A lot of us don't understand the implications
>> of these choices, and think the learning curve is too steep.
>>
> currently no consensus for high-level API.

True.

> some member need it
> but
> some member (like me) think do not need it.

That should not block it if other members find value.

>  because the higher-level API can be contributed by 3rd party community
> (jQuery team will be good example)

As a general rule, this argument does not work. The idea that "users will
consume a higher-level wrapper" most of the time means that your group is
either committing design malpractice by miscalculating the costs of the
wrappers or by excluding your largest motivating use-cases. It is design
failure not to deliver a feature that meets the needs of most of your
potential users.