Re: [WebCryptoAPI] Behaviour "not supported algorithm" and "Authetication"

On Jul 28, 2013 1:07 PM, "Martin Becker" <Martin.Becker@ruhr-uni-bochum.de>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> currently writing my Bachelor-Thesis, at Ruhr-University Bochum on Web
Crypto API, I encountered 2 problems in the specification:

> 1.       What’s happened if an user agent doesn’t support the Algorithm,
requested by the web application, after the “InvalidAlgorithmError” was
thrown?
> In my opinion there are 2 possible solutions:
>
> a.       The user agent and web application can’t communicate with each
other

> b.      The web application tries another algorithm
>
> In case of solution b a method to discover supported algorithms would be
nice.

You can see the mail archives for why such discoverability is intentionally
not implemented or specified.

Attempting to use the desired algorithm - with the desired params - is the
only defined discovery mechanism.

> 2.       I tried to explain the “Multi-factor Authentication”  by taking
the example of the “ISO/IEC 9798-3 three-pass mutual authentication
protocol”.
>  At that I remarked that there is no way to check if a received nonce is
the same as the nonce previously sent.  The only way to check a nonce is
> within java script whereby the nonce has to be stored inside java script
variables which can be manipulated by the web application.
> The same takes effect on Timestamps.
> So i have no idea how to implement a secure authetication protocol based
on Web Crypto.

Web Crypto does not and should not provide a means for trusting arbitrary
JS. Either you trust the JS or you don't.

If you don't trust the web application, there can be no security - web
crypto or not.