From: "Jake Jones" <zoszsoz@gmail.com>
To: public-webcrypto-comments@w3.org
Sent: Tuesday, July 9, 2013 6:31:51 AM
Subject: Web Crypto API not available from inside HTML5 web worker

Hi,

I've just been trying to do some CPU intensive hashing inside a web
worker thread which required the use of:

window.crypto.getRandomValues();

Problem is the window object is not available inside a web worker so my
code didn't work. Is there any reason to exposing the Web Crypto API
solely through the window object? Can you make it usable inside a web
worker as well?

My argument is that we definitely need to do cryptography stuff inside
an asynchronous web worker thread along with other code. As you know
encrypting, decrypting and hashing can be pretty CPU intensive. Also
there is potential for lots of pre/post processing stuff to be done on
the results from the Web Crypto API so if not done asynchronously with a
web worker it will block (lock up) the UI.

I would find it very helpful to have the API available for use inside a
worker thread.

Thanks for your consideration.