Re: Possible solution for same origin policy problem in Web Certificate API

Hi Anders,

Some words of clarification:

On Jul 8, 2013, at 2:36 PM, Anders Rundgren wrote:

> Hi Arun,
> I read your response to Sangrae Cho regarding the use of BrowserID as the Korean solution:
>
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcrypto/2013Jul/0011.html
>
> There's nothing wrong with BrowserID but it is probably not compliant to banks' requirements since it does neither address PIN-codes nor secure storage.
> IMO this is valid for the entire Web Crypto API scheme.

I wasn't proposing "BrowserID" as the solution!  Rather, what I was proposing was:

1. The use of cross-origin messaging to allow cryptographic credentials such as certs to be used across origins and…
2. Re-imagining Sangrae Cho's problem statement in terms of SOP, with the possibliity of 1. above.

I merely used BrowserID as a "template" for the type of thing that can be done when cryptography meets cross-origin messaging.

> A related issue which has not been commented on is that the Web Crypto specification effectively "disintegrates" a platform with respect to key storage.
> Immediately after (probably even before) Web Crypto passes through standardization, a frenzy of (all incompatible) schemes will emerge with the goal of restoring the platform again.

I'm not entirely sure I understand this point.

-- A*