Re: Prioritization of secondary features

Yes, the most concise and simplified I can make is :

1- for [4] (copy of part of some emails I sent) :

- the proxy (OP which communicates with the anonymizer network) and the
page (loading a fake domain let's say https://moc.elgoog.www.com for
http://www.google.com (that the user did request), please note that http
becomes https) are inside the browser and can communicate using js
- both communicate with an anonymizer router via the socks proxy
interface, the router sends the https responses to the browser, the
proxy sends instructions to the router via websosckets (using the socks
proxy channel too)
- when the page starts loading https://moc.elgoog.www.com, it
establishes a TLS connection with the proxy relayed by the router
- the proxy generates "on the fly" a certificate, it can not be a valid
one because the fake domain (here moc.elgoog.www.com) is different each
time the user requests a different domain and even if we could
import/store valid certificates I don't see how we could hide/protect
the private key
- handshake happens between the proxy and the page, the browser does
display a warning, the user acknowledges it

The problem of course is that a MITM attack is easy (see Evil 1 on the
drawing). But since the proxy and the page can communicate inside the
browser, the idea is simply for the page to retrieve the certificates
and to check with the proxy that it is the good one, all of this with
js, therefore a MITM attack looks impossible.

It can look like a paradox, the non valid certificate protects the
communication... The warnings are not very esthetical but impossible to
avoid, and if you don't get it you are sure that you have a problem.

2- for [3] :
The client (browser) sets a wss connection with a router, pub_key is
used. The client does not really care about the TLS connection because
it does implement another secure protocol, but he wants to be absolutely
sure that he is discussing with the friendly router he requested. For
this, the server sends back to the client a certified_key.
The client identifies the server by checking that the pub_key used in
the TLS handshake matches the certified_key received from the server,
where the certified_key is the pub_key signed with the id_priv_key of
the server and therefore verified with its public id_pub_key.
That's a kind of tls handshake on top of the normal one.

Regards,

Webble : www.webble.it
BlimpMe! : www.blimpme.com