Re: SOP Exception versus Key-based Domain Labels

On 2013-12-24 15:56, Nick Van den Bleeken wrote:
> Hi Anders,
>
> Thank you for raising the topic again. I have one remark on your proposal of using a _domain_label_ in an extension attribute.
>
> In Belgium the eID is valid for 5 years, they even want to extend this to 10 years (to save costs…). This means that it will take 6 years ( or 11 in the future), before all citizens will have an eID card with the new extension field on it. This approach might be usable for smart cards that are distributed by private companies, where they could afford distributing new cards sooner. But for eID’s this isn’t feasible.  (In practice it will take even longer because one year for getting an extra field from proposing it to getting it approved, implemented, tested and production is quite optimistic).

Hi Nick,

I'm painfully aware of this :-( :-(

A question comes to my mind, is it technically impossible upgrading cards in a self-service process using the original certificate as authenticator?

I guess the answer is no which is yet another reason why I'm struggling with an "alternative" smart card scheme, targeted at the connected generation.

A possibility is using the eID as a secure "bootstrap" for a derived credential stored in _another_ key-container like a mobile phone.

Happy Christmas BTW!

Anders