Re: Analysis of W3C Web Payments Specifications (2017)

On 2017-11-01 15:27, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 11/01/2017 02:11 AM, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>> Your analysis is 100% correct when looking from a Web(only)
>> perspective.
>
> Thanks, Anders. :)
>
> I should point out that we aren't looking at this from a Web-only
> perspective... the Web Handler architecture needs to bridge both Web and
> native apps. It should be just as easy to register a native app to
> handle Web Handler Requests as it is to register and use a Web-based
> handler.

Agreed.  Unfortunately discussions around this theme initiated by me
in the TAG list didn't go anywhere.  In fact, I was STRONGLY requested
NOT proposing opportunities mixing the Web with Native since

   "This is the W3C and we only deal with the [TRUE] Web".

Therefore we are de-facto stuck with the PaymentRequest API which
(through undocumented methods), is claimed providing a secure but
application-specific, "bridge" between the Web and the Native world.

So I have [finally] given up and [sort of] "embraced" the PaymentRequest
API as well :-)

Anders