re: expiration of the WG

Don,

At 10:38 AM 3/25/2011 -0500, Don Larson wrote:

>I don't see any pressing issues with WebCGM 2.1 that would justify the
>continuation of the WG.
>The only technical issue we've had so far is use of semi colon in the MIME
>type, i.e.
>image/cgm;Version=4;ProfileId=WebCGM

This is the first time this problem has been reported, unless I have missed
something earlier.

>The semi colon causes a problem for a Firefox WebCGM plugin implementation
>since Firefox
>uses the semi colon to delimit a MIME type.  Firefox treats our WebCGM
>MIME type as 3
>distinct MIME types.  We will substitute a dash for the semi colon in our
>Firefox plugin to get
>around this dilemma.

Actually, Dave prepared a draft revision to the MIME type registration, but
I dropped the ball and the WG never pursued it.  I don't know if his draft
would have solved the problem you raise, but in any case it is probably too
late to pursue it -- I imagine it takes some time to get something through
the MIME registration process.

>I do hate to see us loose contact with W3C though, in case there are
>issues that would
>require changes to the spec.   It would be nice if CGM Open could be a
>member of W3C so
>that someone could monitor what's happening in W3C.  I have enjoyed being
>on the W3C
>Advisory Committee mailing list that came with my company being a W3C
>member which
>will soon go away because we won't renew this year.

Yes, unfortunately I don't see an easy way to accomplish ongoing WG
existence or CGMO membership in same.

Regards,
-Lofton.