Re: mime-type registration for WebCGM.

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the feedback.  Here are some thoughts about your message.

First, we welcome that CGZ does not require a new media type registration.

We also disliked the too-strong connection between the gzip and HTTP 1.1
usage.  We have removed that sentence, like SVG did.

Section 3.4 (which is in WebCGM 1.0 and 2.0) [1] does give the full media
type specification for calling out CGM from an <object> element:

>The only standard way to reference inline CGMs from HTML documents is
>through the object element, using the data attribute for the CGM file and
>the type attribute to specify the full Mime Type. The minimal element for
>adding CGM into a document would be:
><object data="xxx.cgm" type="image/cgm;Version=4;ProfileId=WebCGM"
>width="200" height="100" />

On the other hand, the WebCGM spec intentionally says very little more
about the registered MIME type.  The main reason is:

WebCGM, unlike SVG, intentionally does NOT standardize any normative
conformance requirements for a general-purpose "WebCGM Server" conformance
"Class of Product" (in the QAWG sense), and indeed we do not believe that
IANA registration of CGM type, beyond use in the <object> tag, plays much
of a role in our constituents' operational scenarios.

Therefore we would like minimize the in-text discussion of the details of
the CGM MIME for a general purpose "WebCGM server", rather than spelling
out the required usage parameters for those who might want consider such a
configuration.

Thanks again, and we welcome any further thoughts you might have.

Regards,
-Lofton.