background information on mime questions [2nd]

[...2nd send -- better link for [4]...]

All --

Here is some background information on the mime-type questions and topics
of the first morning's agenda [1].

First, I asked Dave to research the history of the topic a bit.  He wrote:

At 04:27 PM 8/21/2009 -0700, David Cruikshank wrote:
>In any case, I wasn't involved in the original mime registration for
>CGM....Alan Francis?, it looks like?  Anyway, a couple of years ago I
>took an action in the WG to take a look at the old mime registration
>and perhaps propose updates to it to make it current.  In Dec 2007 I
>forwarded to Thierry (and you?) my shot at that and that's the last I
>heard (see attached).  [2]
>
>As far as Ben's question goes, I think it came up once before... and
>we asked whether SVG had registered their z-encoded as a mime and I
>think the answer was no, so we dropped it.  Am I remembering right?

[1] http://www.w3.org/Graphics/WebCGM/2009/F2F/
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-webcgm-wg/2007Dec/0000.html

Second, I looked around and found some interesting background information,
for example how SVG handled its gzip-compression.

I looked up what Tiny 1.2 did about .svgz:
[3] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/intro.html#mimetype

No apparent mention of svgz there, that I can see in a quick scan.  That
[3] points to this:
[4] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/mimereg.html

Which points to this:
[5] http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype.html
A careful reading of that might be useful.  On first glance, it *seems* to
imply that registration can be done in two ways:  (\[new procedure] by
draft text within the REC (starting at LCWD stage!);   [old procedure]
outside of the REC, "if not practical to include it".  (That's the one for
us, if we go further with this.)

Reference [3] also points to this:
[6] http://www.w3.org/TR/SVGMobile12/conform.html#ConformingSVGServers
which makes it sound like SVG's only conformance requirements related to
.svgz pertain to "SVG Servers".  WebCGM (purposely) does not have a
conformance "Class of Product" such as "WebCGM Servers".

Regards,