RE: CGZ files

Dieter,

One comment about the question you asked...

At 03:30 AM 11/12/2008 -0500, Weidenbrueck, Dieter wrote:
>[...] In fact, there is an open question that I can't answer here on the
>road, which is:
>Every CGM file compliant to a profile must be a legal ISO8632 CGM. Is a
>zipped CGM a legal ISO8632 CGM? If you read it following the ISO standard,
>you will have to reject the file as non-CGM after the first bytes. Or, in
>other words, is it legal to define zip compression inside a profile, or
>does it have to be a separate encoding?

A valid question.  IMO, it can be handled well enough like this...

In 7.1 [1], the first bullet, we can be completely clear that we are
talking about two variants of valid content for conformance "Class of
Product":  binary-encoded CGM satisfying all of the specifications of this
profile; and gzip-compressed instances of same, per 6.2 [2].

In concept, I think that's all that's needed.

Would that take care of it in details?  Or is there some wording elsewhere
that would need to be tuned?

-Lofton.

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2008/WD-webcgm21-20080917/WebCGM21-Conf.html#webcgm_conformance_CoP