RE: WebCGM 2.0 REC cover page

On Tue, 2007-01-02 at 09:33 -0800, Cruikshank, David W wrote:
> Ian,
>
> Thanks for your reponse. I don't mind delaying the publication of the
> REC until Jan 30, but what I really need is a dated REC name to refer
> to.  It's ok if the name is: REC-webcgm20-20070130 because the two
> industry specifications relying on WebCGM 2.0 won't be published until
> after that date.  I just want to nail down the 200701"nn" so final
> editing can happen in S1000D Issue 2.3 and ATA iSpec2200.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Dave,

The URI for the spec is likely to be:
  http://www.w3.org/TR/2007/REC-webcgm20-20070130/

However, I can't guarantee that 100%, simply because I can't
guarantee the future.

Meanwhile, I would like to talk to the WG about using several
latest version URIs in the Recommendation, following this guidance [1].
Specially, I propose these "latest version" URIs:

  http://www.w3.org/TR/webcgm/ -> Most advanced Web CGM Recommendation
  http://www.w3.org/TR/webcgm1/ -> Latest Web CGM 1.x
  http://www.w3.org/TR/webcgm2/ -> Latest Web CGM 2.x

Thus, when Web CGM 2.0 is published as a Recommendation, it would
include two latest version URIs: (the first and third above). Should
there ever be Web CGM 3, we would update /TR/webcgm to point to that
Recommendation. This would allow readers of the Web CGM 2.x
Recommendation to find the newer Web CGM 3 without our having to
republish any specifications.

[Unfortunately Web CGM 1.x did not include these URIs and so readers
of Web CGM 1.x on the Web will not find the v2 and later versions as
easily.]

I also suggest deprecating the short name webcgm20 since it is likely
to become a dead end if you decide to publish web cgm 2.1. We can
redirect the current webcgm20 to webcgm2.

 - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2005/05/tr-versions

> Thx...Dave Cruikshank
>
> Technical Fellow - Graphics/Digital Data Interchange
> Boeing Commercial Airplane
> 206.544.3560, fax 206.662.3734
> david.w.cruikshank@boeing.com

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447