Re: Fwd: Re: [LC Review] of WebCGM 2.0

On Monday, July 10, 2006, 4:14:13 PM, Benoit wrote:

BB> Here are my opinions with regards to these comments:

BB> comment 1: yes, "OASIS CGM Open ..." should be removed from <title>.

BB> comment 2: as Felix points out, we have two references to Unicode...
BB> Unicode and Unicode-401. However, I couldn't find Unicode-401 anywhere
BB> in the specification, the closest I could find was [Unicode40]
BB> in Chapter 3 (which we don't have in the reference section). One
BB> reference to Unicode should suffice, no? The generic one.

I agree - especially if the references to a specific version are not
actually used.

  C063 [S] A generic reference to the Unicode Standard MUST be made if
  it is desired that characters allocated after a specification is
  published are usable with that specification. A specific reference to
  the Unicode Standard MAY be included to ensure that functionality
  depending on a particular version is available and will not change
  over time.
  http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-RefUnicode

BB> comment 3: possibly a bit more tricky... I suspect the default is
BB> IsoLatin 1 for legacy reasons. What would be the harm in making the
BB> default UTF-8?

Is the text ever used without an explicit indication of the character
encoding?In other words, does content rely on the encoding being a
particular default?

Its certainly easier to change the default now rather than later. Also,
its off for the XML companion file to have one default encoding (UTF-8 or
UTF-16) and the WebCGM to have a different one (Latin-1).

BB>  As for 'character encoding' instead of 'character set',
BB> I suspect we kept the same wording as CGM:1999. More thoughts anyone
BB> on this one?

We should use the correct term, character encoding. Character set has a
different meaning.

  A character encoding scheme, together with the coded character sets it
  is used with, is called a character encoding, and is identified by a
  unique identifier, such as an IANA charset identifier.
  http://www.w3.org/TR/charmod/#sec-Digital

 Interaction Domain Leader
 Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group
 W3C Graphics Activity Lead