Re: [webauthn] Which "pubKeyCredParams" to use? (#1757)

Those algorithms are required for Fido certification.   If you don’t care
about that then you can do as you like.   It is the CTAP specifications in
Fido that define the mandatory to implement algs for servers, not WebAuthn.

There are deployments that do require ED25519 where NIST curves are not
trusted.   If you don’t have customers with that requirement then there is
little use in implementing ED25519, as all of the authenticators supporting
that alg will also support P256.

RS256 is a bit different.  Win 10 and some versions of Win 11 only support
RS256 due to TPM 1.0 issues.  Yes that is part of the reason Win 11
requires TPM2.0.

If you don’t support RS256 windows platform authenticators that users
expect to work won’t creating a support nightmare.

If customers don’t have any Win 10 in there environment I guess you could
not implement RS256 but it would not be considered interoperable or
certifiable by Fido.

Authenticators shouldn’t implement RS256 any more,  however servers will
need to suppoet it for some time.

Regards
John B.