Re: [webauthn] Mechanism for encoding *direction* metadata may need more work (#1644)

From: Adam Langley via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 2021 23:54:05 +0000
To: public-webauthn@w3.org
Thanks for that and sorry for the delay—I've been on vacation.

I think we want a truncation indicator so that we know when to disregard the trailing metadata. If the RLM/LRM/CANCEL TAG is acceptable then that certainly works. Else any terminator, like a period, at the end would do. Or else a non-opinionated alternative to "rtl"/"ltr" that could always be included when no direction override was needed would serve. (E.g. "?".)

The "^^^" separator would suffer from truncation issues too and could lead to stray "^" characters appear in the UI. Switching "^^^" for the BOM, as suggested, would address that.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by agl
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/webauthn/issues/1644#issuecomment-973478613 using your GitHub account